St. Joseph's College at Robinson Road
In 1881 there were more than 300 students
enrolled. Buxley Lodge was found to be too small. A piece of land in Glenealy
below Robinson Road was bought in March. Matsheds were erected to be used as
classrooms until the new College Building was completed.
New Wings at Glenealy
The Governor, Sir John Pope Hennessy contributed
$6000 to the building expenses as a grant on the usual conditions, and on 3rd
November he himself laid the foundation stone of the new College. The original
structure was a two-story building, but a third was added in 1898 for the accommodation
Three years after completion of the building, the wings were added. In 1903,
a further addition was made to the Buildings greatly improving its appearance,
in fact, rendering it imposing: the two wings which gave additional accommodation
for over 100 pupils while relieving the congestion.
The material deficiencies having been overcome,
intellectual progress soon followed. Our boys performed outstandingly in the
examinations under the grant-in-aid scheme and syllabus. The Governor Sir George
Bowen himself complimented the boys at a prize-giving ceremony on 12th January
1884. When Brother Ivarch-Louis took charge of St. Joseph's College, the prominentplace
among the leading educational establishments in the Colony and its influence
radiated through all the countries of the far east.
The three higher classes prepared their
students for the Oxford University Examinations, namely Senior, Junior and Preliminary,
and it was quite usual to see St. Joseph's College heading the results list
both in quantity and quality.
In 1906, His Lordship Bishop Pozzoni celebrated the Silver Jubilee wih a mass at the College.
The celebration of the Papal Jubilee took place in 1908. In 1911, further improvement was made by the laying out of the new recreation ground.